Thursday, July 24, 2008
This is my all time fav breakfast...Can hv it as a breakfast or a meal or for Dinner...or as a quick evening tiffin....a popular snack in South India...You can also boil and add some veggies to them and make them a perfect kichadi...here is my veriosn on Semiya upma...
All u need...!!!
1. Vermicelli/Semiya - 2 cups
2. Onion - 1 big chopped finely lengthwise
3. Mustard - 2tsp
4. Cumin seeds - 2tsp
6. Curry leaves
7. Green chilli - 2
8. Urad dhal - 2tsp
9. Channa dhal - 2tsp
10.Water - 3 cups
11. Salt to taste
12. Turmeric powder - 1tsp
13. Oil - 2tsp
14. Ghee - 2tsp
How u go on making them...
1. Heat a non stick pan and add 2tsp of ghee. Add semiya to them and fry them for sometime and keep them aside.
2. Take another pan and heat 2tsp of oil and when hot add mustard, cumin seeds and hind. Once they begin to splutter add urad and channa dhal and fry them till brown.
3. Add the chopped onions ,chillies, curry leaves and fry them well till the smell eases and till onions turn golden brown. Once done add 3 cups of water and boil them well. Also add turmeric powder and salt accordingly and mix them well.
4. Once water begins to boil well add the semiya and mix them with water. To avoid lumps keep mixing them well. Now close the lid and stir occassianally for 5-6mins in medium flame.
5. Once Semiya is cooked transfer them to a bowl and dress them with Cilantro and serve hot.
You can also add carrot and veggies according to ur taste and make them nutrition rich. Can have them with sugar or coconut chutney,sambar....according to ur taste